Thursday, November 05, 2009

Your wake-up call

By John Kubicek

I've been late to work because of hitting that snooze button a few too many times. The alarm goes off, and I'm seemingly oblivious to what I need to be doing. Please, just nine more minutes of sleep!

And I wouldn't be surprised to know that some of you that are reading this have been holed up in some motel room with an important appointment to get to, or a flight to catch, and that "wake-up call" from your hotel never comes.

Well? Which is it that I'm talking about? Which scenario could explain how liberty is lost? There is only one obvious answer: Both.

But wait, there is that third kind of wake-up call. I remember that in Basic Training camp when I went into the Air Force, there was that reveille, the signal to arise. For some of the more sound sleepers, it took seeing others up and about that got them up and going. Uh, no, there was no "snooze alarm" in this scenario.

There may be some tense moments for you as you read this piece. Good, because it's my hope you'll figure out who you are.

Are you the person that hears the snooze alarm going off, most of the time? As you hit that magic button allowing you a few more minutes of the desired sleep, are you like those that say, "Life's good, quit bothering me about WAKING UP!"?

Hopefully, you aren't one of those WAITING for the wake-up call. That is those of you that depend on the Mainstream Media for the "wake-up" call that will never come. It is a horrible feeling to wake up a few hours too late. There is nothing worse than knowing the disaster has already happened, and there isn't any way to reverse what just happened. You just missed your flight... Or, you just missed being able to make a difference. Bad feeling, you know.

Now, let's take a look at that last scenario, where some don't wake up until reveille sounds, and others are moving about. I really don't have a problem with that scenario; it explains most of us. While guys like Doug Hoffman blew the trumpet for reveille, there were some that were quick to rise like Sarah Palin and Michele Bachmann, and some that stayed between the sheets, hitting that snooze button, which was probably most of us.

Well, hopefully this is YOUR wake-up call. Whether it is my initial alarm or one of the snooze alarms, I still have my clock-radio alarm turned up to maximum volume. Hopefully, you will do the same. I'm hoping that you'll also wake up soon enough. There's nothing worse than missing an appointment, ignoring the signs that you know of, or being oblivious to all that is going on.

You don't won't to wake up only to find out that your freedom has been lost, now, do you?
Bookmark and Share

No comments: