Monday, June 10, 2019

Lone Survivors: When we outlive all of our friends and/or loved ones

Things on my heart...

By John Kubicek

"Lone Survivors: When we outlive all of our friends and/or loved ones (from our generation)."

I am somewhat hijacking the name of a book by Marcus Luttrell, called, "Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10." As in many books dealing with war, and the heroes that survived the battles, there are times when people went through all kinds of things but still lived, as did Marcus Luttrell: All while many of their buddies didn't survive.

The thought hit me, that the "Lone Survivors" must ask, "Why me? How did I make it through all of that, and not the rest of the squad? Why am I still here?" Back a few days ago, on June 6, 2019, we had the 75th Anniversary of the D-Day invasion at Normandy. A few of those courageous soldiers that participated are still around, and were telling us about their experiences on that "longest day." Yet, most of those that also survived that day had not lived nearly long enough to commemorate the 75th Anniversary, thus, making those that could, the "Lone Survivors."

As we grow older, for those of us that are so "lucky" with longevity in our genes, it is growing to be too often when we hear about one of our friends or relatives from around our age group, our generation, passing away. That thought really hit me the other day, when my father's long time friend, since they were in grade school, passed away. Probably the last person my dad knew very well. My dad will turn 100 years old in less than 5 months from now. All of our relatives from that generation are gone. My dad is a "lone survivor," from his generation of relatives and friends. Now, his best friend, nearly forever, is gone.

So, this evening, I talked with one of my best friends for the last 50 years. We discussed it, mostly because he found out one of our long-time friends had passed away. And, that we know many others that are no longer with us... That, only because of the Lord's will, we are still here (quite surprisingly, considering things we did in our youth and beyond), I have to consider it's a miracle.

This is something that people my age and above have to contemplate about our possible future. What would it be like, to be like my dad, or Marcus Luttrell, and be a lone survivor? Which would be more difficult? Your SEAL Team squad being lost in a battle, or everyone you knew from your generation gradually dying? Well, I can tell you that it is very difficult seeing those of your generation gradually diminishing. And, that it is important to stay in contact with those we know and love. Please always remember that advice!

No comments: